Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Make It Count Monday

Yeah, yeah. So it’s not Monday. But dammit, this is MY blog and I can call it Monday if I want to. I was preoccupied with pictures of The Mini on Monday.

Today my MICM is a double barrel shout-out. This one goes to…my parents!

My momma
I really do have the best mom and know how lucky I am to have her. And I know how lucky she feels to have me as a daughter, because let’s face it - who wouldn’t? But, seriously folks… I know there were a lot of sacrifices that were made while my Sis and I were growing up and Mom was more than happy to make them. Or, if she wasn’t happy about it, she never let on! :o) I’m so glad that I was never a latchkey kid and that there was someone home after school when I got there. I’m so glad that once I got into Junior High, she never made me ride the bus… she always drove me to school in the big blue tank (that 76 Buick Regal was hot!) – which was infinitely better than one of the Yellow Dawgs. I’m so glad that, even though we weren’t the richest family in town, sis and I always had (almost) everything we wanted. I may have never had a pair of Guess jeans, but dammit it if I didn’t have a pair of Keds and a pair of Dexters. My momma is funny - intentionally and unintentionally – and is never funnier than when she gets tickled about something and you can tell she just might tinkle on herself.

Daddio
My daddio is Da Man. Anybody who knows him will tell you I’m not lying. He’s funnier than most people I know and loyal to the core. Dad worked hard so that we could have what we needed and to make sure we were all safe, so much so that he went halfway across the world to do it. When he was gone to Desert Storm in 1991 (first to go, last to come home!), I was in a bit of a selfish teenager phase. I’m not sure why, but when he was gone, I think I only wrote him one letter and I still feel guilty about it to this day. I talked to him on the phone when he would get a chance to call and I missed him like crazy. Maybe it was easier for me to deal with it that way. But, regardless, he never let on if this made him angry or hurt him in any way. That’s how awesome he is. One summer, the newspaper in town was having a contest – sort of a scavenger hunt with new clues each week – and my dad and I tried to figure it out together. We didn’t, but to this day it’s one of my very best memories with my dad.
My parents are fun, funny, smart, and steadfast. If everyone had parents like mine, the world would be a better place.

No comments: