Thursday, December 18, 2008

Hmmm....

So, my last post really got me thinking. I am a pretty realistic and logical person. But occasionally, the real world bleeds into my comfortable little existence.

Part wants to believe that when I gave that woman my box of granola bars the day before Thanksgiving, the gratefulness she showed me was the same as it would have been if I had given her the $3 I’d spent on them. It’s the same part of me that wants to believe that when I smile and say hi to the guy that stands at the corner of my building selling Street Roots that it might have just made his day because most days, people just don’t see him. And it’s the part of me that wants to believe that by spending an insignificant amount of money, that I might just make some kid I don’t know really, really happy at Christmas, when otherwise he might not be.

The realist and the believer are in constant conflict with one another. It makes me wonder…

Is convincing myself that I’ve helped someone truly in need just my way of soothing my own guilt about taking things for granted?
Is having faith in other people the adult version of believing (or not believing) in Santa Claus?

And either way, does it really matter?

(Please note: Debbie Downer has been exorcised from this Bummer Free Blog. This is not intended to be depressing… Just thinking out loud, I guess.)

No comments: