Monday, November 23, 2009

Oh, JHo

This morning when I heard the news about JLo’s big fall, I was so disappointed that I hadn’t watched the AMAs. Fortunately, I didn’t miss anything because they tried to dupe us West Coasters. Seriously, why edit it out? It’s not like it wasn’t going to go viral the instant that it happened.

I wouldn’t call myself a hater of JLo, but she is symbolic of much that is wrong with our world. She’s a mediocre actress (though I can admit to owning copies of both The Wedding Planner and Maid in Manhattan), mediocre dancer and even more mediocre singer, but is widely regarding as a “Triple Threat.” More like a Triple I-Could-Do-Just-As-Well-As-Her. And to add insult to injury, she’s to blame for the media and our culture in general for identifying celebrities by their first initial and the first syllable for their last name. I HATE THAT. Almost as much as I hate the use of “T” instead of t-shirt, “cardi” in place of cardigan, and “cami” instead of camisole.

That said, I was most excited to see the video of her busting it at the AMAs. I was really looking for a good laugh. Much to my dismay, I didn’t find it!!! I don’t want to give the chick too much credit - let’s be honest, her rear is so fluffy that she might just naturally bounce back up like that ANY time she falls. But that woman jumped right back up and went on with the show. I actually think she started performing better after the fall. She bounced back (pun intended) pretty well.

I tried to laugh and find joy in what happened. I watched minute 2:44 three times for crying out loud to try and get a cheap laugh, but it didn’t work. I hate to admit it, but I was mildly impressed. I may actually have to….gasp!.... LIKE her now.

No comments: